The mission of the Book Industry Charitable Foundation is focused on being an organization that strengthens the bookselling community through financial assistance programs that help bookstore employees and their families in times of personal financial crisis. The Foundation has become a safety net for booksellers across the nation providing care in times of crisis.
Last year, the Foundation provided assistance to 42 booksellers and their families, providing vital support with nearly $80,000 going to pay bills and get employees back on their feet:
- $40,000 of those funds went to pay for overwhelming medical expenses – the most common grant request.
- 5 families were able to avoid eviction and remain in their homes
- 3 matching grants were given providing $6,000 to booksellers whose communities came together to raise funds for their cause
So far in 2015, Binc has provided financial assistance to 26 bookstore employees and their families, giving almost $50,000 to help:
- Prevent 7 families from becoming homeless
- Pay serious medical expenses for 6 booksellers
- Keep the lights and heat on for 3 families
- Provide shelter for a domestic violence victim
In June of 2015, the Foundation awarded 53 higher education scholarships for students from 29 different states representing 35 different bookstores. They are studying everything from medicine to economics to library sciences. These students are able to follow their dreams without the worry and stress of student debt thanks to a Binc scholarship.
Binc also awarded professional development scholarships to help 12 booksellers attend Winter Institute, Children’s Institute and regional bookseller trade conferences. Booksellers attending these events not only received individual education but also pass their newfound knowledge along to their coworkers and ultimately improve their stores.
#GivingTuesday Kick Off
In order for the Binc Foundation to keep providing essential financial assistance at this level to booksellers around the country, fundraising efforts are focused on the Foundation becoming a sustainable entity. In May, the Campaign to Sustain succeeded in increasing the number of monthly donors giving to the Foundation. The results exceeded expectations, with support coming from individuals, bookstores and corporations contributing to keep the Foundation in the business of helping booksellers.
On December 1st, #GivingTuesday begins the charitable season with a day of global giving dedicated to helping nonprofit organizations. This effort harnesses the collective power of a unique blend of partners—nonprofits, businesses and corporations as well as families and individuals—to transform how people think about, talk about and participate in the giving season. #GivingTuesday inspires people to take collaborative action to improve their local communities, give back in better, smarter ways to the charities and causes they celebrate and help create a better world.
Binc is participating in #GivingTuesday again this year to kick off our year-end fundraising campaign. Our Board of Directors has generously offered to match all donations up to $3,500! In this way, you can double your donation to Binc this year by donating to Binc on #GivingTuesday. The funds raised will help Binc to Write the Next Chapter and move toward becoming a sustainable entity to continue the work of supporting the book industry for years to come.
How you can help Binc become Sustainable
Make a donation. Whether your donation is a one-time donation, sustaining donation or corporate sponsorship, your contribution to Binc on #GivingTuesday will help:
- Keep the utilities on for a bookseller and their family
- Give support to a victim of domestic violence
- Provide funds for a bookseller to pay serious medical expenses
- Help a bookseller say in their home by preventing eviction
- Give the opportunity of higher education to a bookseller or their dependent
Spread the Word. The more people that know about Binc and the services provided, the more funds we will be able to raise.
- Follow Binc on social media and share what you see (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn)
- Let your friends and colleagues know about our #GivingTuesday campaign and how their donation can help booksellers (forward this to your friends).
- Share your story If you have received assistance from Binc, let coworkers know how the Foundation helped you. Perhaps we can help them too.
We appreciate the support and encouragement we have received from our donors, volunteers and industry partners! Your advice, time, connections and expertise have guided us and helped us grow through the last 3 years. Without our supporters we could not do the things that we have done to help the book industry!
Our next chapter is dedicated to you!