Thank you very much for your interest in making the Book Industry Charitable Foundation (Binc) the beneficiary of your fundraising efforts. We are fortunate that community members choose to use their time, energy, and effort to help raise funds to support our mission.
To help make your fundraising event successful and enjoyable, and make best use of our staff resources, please review our Third-Party Fundraising Guidelines.
If you would like to host a third-party fundraiser to support booksellers and comic retailers, please contact our Director of Development, Kathy Bartson at (734) 471-0201 email@example.com.
- Third-party events should be approved by Binc, at least two weeks prior to the event.
- Binc prohibits direct solicitation (including but not limited to door-to-door canvassing, telemarketing or internet).
- Binc will not be bound by any agreements not in writing and agreed upon prior to the fundraising event(s), promotion or activities.
- Approved third-party fundraising events must be referred to as “benefitting the Book Industry Charitable Foundation or The Binc Foundation.” They may not be represented as “sponsored by”, “conducted on behalf” or any similar terminology.
- Binc will not be bound by any agreements that are not in writing and agreed upon prior to the fundraising activities.
- Binc prohibits events or promotion involving the promotion or support of a political party or candidate or that appear to endorse any lobbying or political activity.
Promotion and Logo Use:
- Any use of the Binc name, logo, or visual representation of Binc must be approved by Binc prior to the fundraising event or promotion.
- Materials, including but not limited to press releases, public service announcements, electronic marketing, posters, brochures, flyers, and tickets must be approved by Binc prior to printing or going live via the internet including but not limited to websites, social media channels, virtual event platforms, videos.
- Please download and review Binc’s Style Guide.
Finance and Tax Rules:
- Binc has no fiduciary responsibility for your event(s) and no liability for event or execution, including promotion, set-up, staffing, or the collection and management of funds raised in connection with events or promotion.
- Binc will not solicit sponsors or auction items for your fundraising event—and will not provide any donor, volunteer, or celebrity contact information, mailing lists, press contacts, press releases, or formal advertising.
- Binc will not be responsible for expenses in connection with third-party fundraisers except if there is a written agreement to the contrary agreed and signed by both parties.
- Binc will receive only the final net donations from proceeds of event(s). Under no circumstances will third-party event(s) revenues and expenses flow through the Binc Foundation’s accounts.
- NOTE: Only individual donors who have written checks directly to the Binc Foundation will receive an official acknowledgement from the Binc Foundation.
- A bank, other deposit or transaction account in the name of the Book Industry Charitable Foundation (Binc) cannot be established by a third-party organizer or volunteers. If payments are made to the organizer and/or volunteers, and the event organizer/volunteers are not an IRS qualified entity, then those payments will not be deductible for income tax purposes. If the payments are made to the Book Industry Charitable Foundation (Binc), donations to the Foundation are typically tax deductible, though you should consult your tax advisor.
- Binc’s sales tax exemption(s) (on purchases) cannot be extended to any event or fundraising effort.
Liability and Cancellation:
- The third-party fundraiser organizer and all of their employees, contractors, agents and volunteers shall obey all federal, state and local laws and regulations relating to promoting and conducting their event(s), including fundraising rules and regulations.
- The third-party fundraiser organizer and all of their employees, contractors, agents and volunteers will determine the extent of and obtain its own liability insurance for the event sufficient to cover any claim that may arise out of the event. Binc will not provide liability insurance to anyone regardless of circumstances. The third-party event organizer shall indemnify, defend, and hold Binc harmless from and against any and all claims, actions, proceedings, losses, damages, costs, fees, attorney fees, expenses, and liabilities arising from or relating to events or fundraising activities planned and/or conducted.
- The third-party fundraiser will obtain all permits and/or licenses necessary for fundraising and the hosting of raffles and/or games of chance.
- The third-party fundraiser shall, three (3) days in advance, deliver to Binc’s Executive Director and Development Director signed copies of all event – or fundraising-related permits, and shall approve them prior to any event without the foregoing review and approval.