It was a whirlwind of a month; attending seven of the eight possible Independent Bookseller Association’s fall conferences. Pam, Penny and Kit were bouncing from one state to another meeting, greeting and educating booksellers about the assistance Binc can offer to their employees. We were thrilled with the response!
The folks at The Pacific Northwest Booksellers Association put on a busy and vibrant show, chuck full of authors and events. The staff and volunteers were all as helpful as could be and made me feel very welcome. Thanks everyone!
1. Getting great feedback from booksellers about improving our website. Thanks Bruce, from Rediscovered Books!
2. Meeting so many northwest authors and hearing about the wide variety of books they are publishing.
Pam and Penny attended the Heartland Fall Forum hosted by GLIBA and MIBA in Chicago over the weekend. It was a great event full of old and new friends, unforgettable authors and an energetic trade show floor. Here are the top ten reasons The Heartland Fall Forum exceeded our expectations!
9. Hearing author Jim Harrison speak at lunch on Friday!
I attended the Northern California Independent Booksellers Association Fall Conference in San Francisco.
In addition to meeting all the great booksellers, here are my top ten favorite things.
10. My early morning walk to San Francisco Bay.
9. Running into vendors I have met at past shows, who are now friends.
8. Learning from his colleagues, that Steve Harkins (our emcee at Trivia for Cheaters in New Orleans) is a singer! Just wait until next year, Steve!!
7. Very cool posters, totes and shirts from Litographs.
6. From East West Bookshop – “We have your poster in our back room”.
5. Martin Pearl Publishing’s very booky booth.
4. Meeting a co-worker of our scholarship winner from Bookshop Santa Cruz.
3. Picking up some fun postcards from Workman, advertising the book Big Appetites.
2. Beer tastings and wine tastings – these book people like to party!
1. The ABA crew sporting our orange “I support Binc” ribbons.
Bye, bye San Francisco . . . I’m off to Portland.
Pam, Kit and Penny had a great time at the Southern Independent Booksellers Alliance trade show in New Orleans! There were too many highlights to mention, so we’ve narrowed it down to just 10. Thanks to everyone that made SIBA wonderful, and made our Trivia for Cheaters fun-raiser a huge success!
10. John Densmore joining “The Tworking Girls” for a round of Trivia for Cheaters
9. Hearing Amy Tan, Sandra Brown, Elizabeth Gilbert and Lee Smith all speak at the SIBA Supper
8. Showing the cool, new Story Stickers to booksellers and seeing how much they liked it
7. Our brief, impromptu NOLA cemetery tour
6. Beignets at Cafe Du Monde
4. Seeing Bourbon Street
3. Meeting the Trivia for Cheaters teams in person
2. Steve Harkins from Baker &Taylor wearing his thank-you bling beads with his lovely suit
1. Getting free books and learning about what’s coming out this season and what the booksellers are recommending
What are your Top Ten from SIBA?
Look for more Top Ten lists as we visit more IBA Trade Shows this fall!
This year as Pam, Kit and Penny travel across the country to seven of the regional Independent Bookseller Association Trade Shows, we will be adding fundraising events and education sessions to our repertoire. Three organizations have offered to host a fundraiser to raise funds to assist their fellow booksellers, and one other has scheduled a Binc education session. These regional IBA events have proven to be our best method for meeting and having meaningful conversations with booksellers across the country.