Applications are now closed.
The Survive to Thrive grant program is open to independent bookstores and comic shops throughout the United States. Grants of up to $10,000 will be made via a juried review process designed to provide grants to stabilize stores and help them thrive. Depending on fundraising, the program will provide grants to as many as 200 bookstores and comic shops that have been able to adapt throughout the pandemic and have community-minded innovation plans going forward.
The goal is to help stores that have found ways to continue meeting their communities’ needs and that are overcoming the burdens created by the pandemic, helping them to thrive.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is my bookstore or comic shop eligible for a Survive to Thrive grant? The eligibility requirements are as follows:
• Your store is a mobile, pop-up, or brick-and-mortar retail space, where the majority of your sales come from the sale of physical books and comics.
• You have a business license, sales tax license, lease, or certificate of good standing from the Secretary of State dated March 2019 or earlier.
• You filed federal taxes in 2019.
• Your store is employee-owned, nonprofit, sole-proprietorship, independent bookstore or comic shop, or an LLC.
• Your store has a dedicated business bank account.
• Your store was negatively impacted in 2020 due to the pandemic.
When will I know if I have been awarded a grant?
Notification to those receiving a grant will be sent out by the end of June.
If I am ineligible for a Survive to Thrive grant does this mean I am not eligible for all assistance from Binc?
No. Binc has many programs. The Survive to Thrive program has specific requirements for eligibility. If your store is not eligible for a Survive to Thrive grant you and your employees may still receive assistance from Binc.
Please contact Binc if you or they have a need. firstname.lastname@example.org
What’s the timeline for the application process?
Applications are being accepted from April 19th through May 10th.
Reviews will take place between May 12th and June 1st.
In mid-June, applicants will be notified if they have been selected to receive a grant
Awards are anticipated to be distributed in mid-July.
Do you have a question that wasn’t answered here? Please email email@example.com.
Where can I find a more detailed FAQ about the application process?
Meet the Reviewers
Supporters and Sponsors
AUTHORS & CREATORS
PUBLISHERS & DISTRIBUTORS
Ingram Industries, Inc
Penguin Random House
Hachette Book Group
Spread the Word