Hundreds of booksellers have been evacuated from their homes due to the wildfires happening in California right now, at least a dozen bookstores are temporarily closed, and more are trying to stay open without power and only a few customers coming through the doors.
“The situation in Northern California for many indie booksellers can only be described as dire, with a number of NCIBA member stores being forced to close their doors–some since Saturday. Other stores are staying open, but only by overcoming huge obstacles in creative ways.” – Publishers Weekly
How You Can Help Booksellers Right Now
- The Book Group (a New York-based literary agency) has just announced a $2000 match to help booksellers affected by the wildfires and power outages.
- Give today, and your donation will be matched dollar for dollar.
Sign up to become a monthly sustaining donor. Your first month’s donation will be matched dollar for dollar.
- Email us firstname.lastname@example.org to increase your monthly gift.
- Spread the word on social media.
- If you know a bookseller or comic retailer who may be in need of assistance, please encourage them to contact Binc.
How Binc Can Help Booksellers
- If the store has to close or business is so slow (due to evacuations, fires, and/or loss of electricity) that you cannot pay the store rent or utilities, Binc may be able to pay rent and utility expenses on your behalf.
- If a bookseller/retailer misses 50% of scheduled weekly work hours, Binc may be able to help with personal household expenses if this missed income causes financial hardship.
- If a bookseller/retailer needs to relocate to temporary housing with power for emergency reasons (medical condition, elderly household members, infant, etc.), Binc may be able to help pay for temporary lodging and supplies.
Email Binc at email@example.com or call 866.733.9064. Kit, Pam, or Kate will talk you through the possible assistance options.