A beer-tasting event is scheduled for October 27, 2012 at Arbor Brewing Company in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Join friends and supporters, as we taste the variety of brews on tap at this popular downtown gathering place. Enjoy beer and snacks, play some darts, visit with friends, find out what is “brewing” with the Foundation and even win a prize! Registration details: General admission tickets $30 & VIP tickets $100 ($31 and $104 if ordered on-line due to processing fees). Event sponsorships range from $250-$5,000.
The Binc Foundation will be taking our show on the road in Fall 2012! Catch us at the many stops we will be making around the country to introduce ourselves to booksellers at the regional IBA conferences.
Now you may be asking yourself, who is the Binc Foundation & what can they do for me as a bookseller? Here are 11 great reasons to get to know us:
1. We have been helping bookstore employees facing emergency financial hardships since 1996.
2. If you stop by our booth at one of the IBA conferences you can enter our raffle for a $100 AmEx giftcard. Just for entering the raffle you will receive a Binc Foundation magnet.
3. Binc Foundation offers scholarships for higher education each year in February. The program is open to bookstore employees, bookstore owners and their dependents.
4. We love books and are dedicated to helping indie bookstores.
5. At the MPIBA trade show 9/20/12 – 9/23/12 stop by our booth (#11) to meet our newest board member Lori Tucker-Sullivan of the Independent Booksellers Consortium.
6. At the Heartland Fall Forum the joint tradeshow for GLIBA & MIBA, the Binc Foundation will be the beneficiary of the funds raised from their annual silent auction held on Friday, October 5th.
7. We have a great tag line “Book people helping book people”.
8. If you live in the east, stop by and visit us at NAIBA (Booth#55B) in Washington or NEIBA (Booth #D35) in Providence. Register for our raffle and take home some information.
9. At the PNBA show Pam our Executive Director will provide an information learning session about the Binc Foundation on Saturday, 10/13 at 10:30 a.m.
10. At the end of the Fall conference season all booksellers who have entered our raffle will be eligible for our grand prize award of a scholarship to ABA’s Wi8 in Kansas City.
11. Binc Foundation exists to strengthen the bookselling community through charitable programs that support employees and their families.
We hope to meet you soon. Please leave a comment if we can plan to see you in Denver, Minneapolis, Tacoma, Washington DC, San Francisco or Providence.
Pam, Alison & Kit
June 4-7, 2012 – The staff of the Book Industry Charitable Foundation traveled to New York City to attend Book Expo America at the Javits Center. Pam, Alison and Kit spent three jam packed days meeting with publishers, distributors, book store owners, authors, and representatives of the American Booksellers Association. Armed with informational flyers and copies of the previous Sunday’s New York Times article, the staff focused on increasing awareness to those attending the show of the services provided by the Foundation to book store employees. Many of the people met during BEA were aware of the Borders Group Foundation of past, and were genuinely pleased that the Foundation remains viable and expanded its mission. Publishers, distributors, book store owners, authors and others in the industry were eager to help us spread the message and introduced many good ideas for the staff to implement in the months ahead.