What is Bank on Booksellers?
- Bank on Booksellers is Binc’s largest fundraiser that brings authors, illustrators, and celebrities together to help bookstore and comic retailer employees.
- In June of 2020, the bidding begins in the third online Bank on Booksellers auction.
- Our goal is to raise $40,000 for booksellers and comic retailers in need.
How does it work?
- Authors, illustrators, and celebrities decorate one-of-a-kind piggybanks. These special, unique art objects will be auctioned in June of 2020. All the proceeds go towards supporting Binc’s programs and helping booksellers and comic retailers in need.
The Bidding Begins on Wednesday, June 24th.
In 2018, the Bank on Booksellers Piggy Bank Auction was a smashing success. Decorated pigs from authors and illustrators including Leigh Bardugo, David Shannon, Anthony Doerr, Gregory Maguire, Ann Patchett, James Patterson, Garth Stein, Andrea Beaty, Jon Scieszka, Sandra Boynton, and Celeste Ng helped bring home the bacon for booksellers. Through their bids, supporters raised over $25,000 to help booksellers and comic retailers in need across the country.
The Book Industry Charitable Foundation is the only 501(c)3 nonprofit that helps booksellers of brick-and-mortar stores with emergency financial needs.
Binc can help qualified booksellers with medical bills, funeral expenses, loss of household income, and increasingly – as a response to all the natural disasters in the last twelve months – homelessness prevention and disaster recovery assistance.
This year we’re ready to raise over $40,000 with a new generation of beautiful bedazzled pigs decorated by over 100 authors and illustrators. It’s going to be the biggest author event of the summer – but first, we need your help.
Authors & Illustrators
Here’s how you can help:
Commit to decorating a piggy bank! We’re looking for over 100 authors and illustrators to turn plain, white, ceramic piggybanks into unique works of art. Piggies need to be shipped back to Binc by May 15th, 2020.
If you’d like to be a part of this year’s auction by donating your time and talent, fill out the form below or contact Rachel Barry at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You do not have to be an artist to decorate a piggy bank. Some of last year’s top pigs were covered in Sharpie drawings, painted, bedazzled, broken and glued back together, and other creative designs.
Promote the Auction:
Whether you’re decorating a piggy bank or bidding on one, we’d love to have your support promoting this year’s auction. If you’d like more information on how you can help promote the auction, reach out to Rachel Barry at email@example.com.
Sign Up to Decorate a Piggy
Join Our Author Leadership Circle:
If you love the idea of helping Binc, but don’t have time to decorate a piggy bank, consider joining the Author Leadership Circle.
In 2019, Garth Stein was named Author Leadership Circle Campaign Chair. Along with Binc co-ambassadors Ann Patchett and James Patterson, Stein has spent the past year helping Binc become sustainable so that the foundation can continue to fulfill their mission of providing a financial safety net for booksellers for years to come.
To join or learn more about the Author Leadership Circle, contact Kathy Bartson at 734-471-0201 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Publishers & Agents
There are many ways you can help.
- Tell your authors and illustrators about this opportunity to promote their book and help booksellers and comic retailers in need.
- Send them the link to our Author/Illustrator Sign-Up Page. We’d love to have them involved.
- Bid on your favorite pigs. The auction will kick off on June 24th and run until July 1st.
- Match the funds raised by your authors and illustrators pigs.
- Sign up for Binc’s newsletter and follow us on social media so you don’t miss a bit of pig-related news.
- Become a donor. Help support frontline booksellers and comic retailers, store owners, and managers by becoming a donor today.
All Other Booklovers
Bid High! Bid Often!
The auction will run from Wednesday, June 24th through Wednesday, July 1st. Be sure to sign up for the Binc newsletter and follow us on social media to get the latest news about the auction.