Is your store eligible? Comic shops must meet the following requirements to apply.
- Has a physical storefront and address located in the US, US territories, or Canada.
- In any 30-day period from April 1st to September 1st 2020, the business lost at least 50% of sales and/or net income as compared to the same period in 2019 due to the Covid-19 public health emergency.
- Is a privately-owned company or DBA.
- If awarded, the funds received will be used for business operating expenses.
- Do not have access to any other immediate financial resources to draw from (excluding government relief funds) that are greater than the equivalent of 6 months’ worth of sales, such as a parent company, crowdfunding donations, or significant cash reserves?
- Maintains an active Diamond Comic Distributors comic book shop account.
- Operates a brick and mortar storefront.
- Orders on average no less than 100 different (unique) comic books and graphic novels from Diamond for each month of 2019.
- Derives a substantial portion of business income from the sale of comic books, manga, and/or graphic novels.
The final total raised by GIVE COMICS HOPE is still being tabulated as the results from the various fundraisers are still coming in. The amount of the grant will depend on the number of eligible stores that apply.
If you have applied, but not received an automatic confirmation that your application has been received, please reapply or email firstname.lastname@example.org to assure we’ve received your application.
Applications Open March 1st – March 15th
EXTENDED UNTIL SUNDAY, MARCH 21ST
The final fund amount and the number of eligible comic retailers that apply will determine the amount of money that’s ultimately distributed. We recommend that these funds are considered as part of the overall relief plan that the comic retailer is pursuing that may include federal and local grants, forgivable loans, low-interest loans, Facebook grants, and others.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the mission of this campaign?
The mission is to support independent comic stores across the country.
Who can apply for assistance?
There are no membership requirements. You are eligible to apply if:
• Your comic book store has a physical storefront and address in the US or US territories.
• Your store is a privately-owned company or DBA.
• If awarded, you will use the funds for operating expenses for your comic shop.
• You do not have significant cash reserves or other sources of support available (excluding government relief).
• Your store receives a substantial portion of its income from the sale of comic books, manga, and/or graphic novels.
If I’m approved, when will recipients receive funds?
Funds are scheduled to be sent out in early spring.
Are funds made payable to the bookstore owner?
No; funds will be made payable to the business entity, not to a person.
How much will be sent to each comic retailer?
The amount sent will depend on the final amount raised during fundraising efforts.
I need help for my own housing payments. Am I allowed to apply
for a store grant AND an individual grant with Binc?
Yes, you can apply for an individual grant as well as a store grant.
If I own more than one store, will I be able to get a grant for both stores?
Only if each store is registered and run as a separate business entity.
Are these grants taxable?
Since the checks will be written to the business entity grants may be taxable income. You will need to check with your tax professional.
I received a disaster grant for a non-COVID-19 emergency from Binc before, can I still apply for store-related expenses?
Yes, you can still apply.