To apply for assistance from the Book Industry Charitable Foundation, a bookseller must be a regular full-time or part-time bookseller, currently employed for a minimum of 90 days, at a bricks-and-mortar bookstore in the United States. A bookseller can receive one charitable financial assistance grant in a 12 month period and no more than three grants in a rolling five year period.
Two types of financial assistance are available
- For current booksellers (or former Borders employees) who are faced with a valid emergency financial hardship, resulting from a specific, qualifying life-event.
- The immediate family members of a deceased bookseller.
If after reviewing the qualifying life-event categories you wish to apply for grant consideration, please download, complete and send the financial assistance application to the Book Industry Charitable Foundation, along with initial documentation to begin the process. See the steps below.
Steps for Applying
- Familiarize yourself with the qualifying life-event categories
- Complete the financial assistance application
- Collect the following documentation:
- Recent pay stubs or income statements for all adults in the household
- Recent checking and savings statements for all adults in the household
- Current lease or mortgage statement
- Borders separation paperwork or unemployment filing (former Borders employees only)
- Include any additional documentation based on the qualifying life-event. The Foundation requires documentation to verify both the stated qualifying life-event and proof of household income. Additional documentation may be requested as needed.
- Email, fax or mail the application and supporting documentation to the Book Industry Charitable Foundation.
Please contact us via email at email@example.com or call us at 866-733-9064 with any questions.