The financial assistance programs offered by the Binc Foundation have been created to address as many financial emergencies as possible. Occasionally, a bookseller will need help in a situation not currently covered by Binc’s existing Financial Assistance programs. The Matching Grant Program is designed to assist a bookstore employee experiencing a financial hardship outside of our core areas of assistance. Types of qualifying events that could qualify for a Matching Grant are auto repairs, insurance premiums, emergency home repairs and medical expenses (please call Binc to get more detailed information).
To apply for a Matching Grant:
- The sponsor* signs and submits a Matching Grant Application
- The Binc Foundation Program Committee evaluates the application
- If approved, the sponsor collects funds at the store/community level on behalf of the bookseller in any way they choose (public fundraiser, private donations, loans from friends or family, etc).
- Once funds are raised, the sponsor submits a Request for Funds Form (page 3 of packet) which must be verified by the sponsor and one other bookstore employee/owner, reporting the amount collected
This program matches any funds collected by an bookseller, dollar-for-dollar, up to $2,000. The bookseller may raise the funds in any way they choose (public fundraiser, private donations, loans from friends or family, etc). These funds can be paid to a third-party, i.e. doctor or paid directly to the bookseller.
A few examples of expenses that matching grant funds cannot be used for include: legal fees, college tuition, elective surgery, vacation travel, or celebratory events such as weddings, baby showers. This list is not exhaustive; the Foundation staff and Program Committee will make the final determination regarding approved qualifying events.
Documents required for the Matching Grant Program:
1) Application Form completed by Sponsor
2) Request for Funds Form (page 3 of packet) verified by the sponsor and one other bookstore employee/owner
As with all Binc assistance programs, Matching Grants are intended for personal expenses applicants, and are not for business expenses.
* A sponsor can be a store owner, store manager or regional IBA executive director.