Become a Volunteer for the Foundation
Volunteers are an essential part of our organization. Volunteer opportunities range from assistance with special fundraising events, to serving on various committees to becoming a Binc Foundation Advocate.
We are currently seeking volunteers from all sectors of the book industry (stores, trade associations, publishers, etc.) for our committees. Both our Communications & Marketing and Fundraising & Events committees are in need of new members. If you have interest or expertise in any of these areas, and would like to make a difference please contact us.
- Provides consultation to the Foundation staff on public relations, advertising, marketing and communications strategies.
- Develops implements and evaluates a comprehensive marketing and communications plan.
- Directs the messaging related to programs, services and workshops to ensure consistency across programs.
- Committee meets quarterly, or as needed.
- Reviews the Foundation’s annual budget and prepares for presentation to the Board of Directors.
- Coordinates and supervises the organization’s financial audit with outside agency.
- Assures that the Foundation maintains and follows appropriate procedures for managing and safeguarding funds.
- Develops and implements investment policies and monitors investment performance to ensure any stated investment goals are met.
- Committee meets quarterly or as needed.
- Develops and implements a wide variety of activities to raise funds and increase organizational awareness at the local, regional and national level.
- Recruits and engages volunteers in fundraising activities of the organization and develops recognition activities and events to support their efforts.
- Committee meets monthly.
- Oversees programs and services to provide charitable assistance to book industry employees.
- Ensures delivery of services is fair, helpful, timely and reinforces the Foundation’s mission.
- Develops and implements new programming that extends the reach of the Foundation’s resources to meet the needs of the industry.
- Committee meets quarterly, or as needed.
Being a Binc Advocate is a chance for you to advocate in your community on behalf of the Book Industry Charitable Foundation. If you are a bookseller, or have contacts in the book industry, you can help Binc by actively participating in social media, and/or using personal connections to inform other booksellers, potential donors, and people in your local community to raise awareness of the Foundation. We will provide you with all the materials to help you better understand our programs and how you can join us in our vision of being a safety net for booksellers.
Awareness of our programs continues to be the biggest challenge for Binc. The most effective way to connect with booksellers is word of mouth – book person to book person. You can help us by participating in the challenge – here’s how:
Step 1- Print out the informational flyer “Spreading the Word”, talking points and an elevator speech that we encourage you to use for the store visit.
Step 2 – Visit a bookstore and share information about Binc.
Step 3 – Email the following to email@example.com
• Name and address of the store
• A short 1-4 sentence description of the store and your visit.
• Photos or a short YouTube video (optional)
Within a few days your bookstore visit will be added to the 100 Bookstore Challenge Map on our website. We will highlight visits on our Facebook page as well. Your help allows us to spread the word to more booksellers, more quickly.
Have you received a financial assistance grant? Have you or your dependent been awarded a Binc Scholarship? If you are comfortable sharing your story, you can be an inspiration to others who have a need, but are reluctant to apply. It would be a huge help to Binc if you would share your story by recording your testimonial or creating a short video. Here are some “How-To’s” for making a video, as well as a very useful YouTube video. There is also a “how-to” for recording your audio story or quote.
Great Nonprofits is an independent organization devoted to gathering and publicizing information about nonprofit organizations. Reviews are a crucial part of any Foundation’s good rating on Great Nonprofits We’d love your feedback!
Write an article for our blog or newsletter
Pick any topic you feel would engage book lovers. Reviews, stories, remembrances or first-person accounts.