Immediate Disaster Assistance
Help during an evacuation and for up to 72 hours after the disaster strikes
The disaster may affect only a few individuals, such as a house or apartment fire, or an entire community, such as a flood, tornado, or hurricane.
Foundation assistance focuses on meeting a bookseller’s and their families’ immediate emergency needs caused by disaster. In dire situations we provide help with immediate needs:
1) Transportation costs for mandatory evacuation.
2) Hotel expense assistance when free shelter or housing is not available through community or family resources.
3) Emergency food and water expense assistance provided if not covered by household savings or community resources.
If your household is the path of a natural disaster such as flood, fire, earthquake or tornado please follow evacuation or preparedness guidelines. You should know what your risks are and prepare to protect yourself, your family and community.
For more information about disaster preparedness check out these helpful sites:
- Find your local Red Cross
- NOAA (National Hurricane Center) preparation materials & guides
- National 2-1-1 link to local government & charitable organizations
Additional documents required for immediate disaster assistance:
- Red Cross intake form or FEMA evacuation notice
- Lodging quote or lodging expenses documentation
To access the expedited application form in Word click here (Word).
The disaster may affect only a few individuals, such as a house or apartment fire, or an entire community, such as a flood, tornado, or hurricane. Foundation assistance focuses on meeting a bookseller’s and their families’ post disaster needs, in situations where there is a financial crisis not able to be alleviated by the use of household savings.
If a bookseller is requesting assistance post disaster we may be able to help with:
1) Loss of wages caused by a store being closed for an extended period of time due to the disaster
2) Repairs to the employee’s home to make it habitable
Additional documents required for post disaster assistance:
1) FEMA registration (if eligible)
2) Insurance claim and quote for repairs (for repairs to dwelling)
3) Documentation of lost wages via letter or contact information from the bookstore owner or manager
To access the application form in Word click here (Word).